Citizens of many countries are entitled to enter Japan for short-term stays without a visa, for purposes of sightseeing and for business trips.

All visitors to Japan must possess a valid passport, onward or return tickets, and sufficient funds to cover the intended period of stay.

There are many countries that have “Visa Exemption Arrangements” with Japan and therefore do not need an entry permit:

For a period of 6 months or less

Austria, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

For a period of 3 months or less

Argentina, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican Rep., El Salvador, Finland, France, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mauritius, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Tunisia, Turkey and Uruguay.

For a period of 90 days or less

Andorra, Australia, Barbados, Bulgaria, Czech Rep., Estonia, Hong Kong (BNO, SAR passport), Hungary, Rep. of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macau (SAR passport), Monaco, New Zealand, Poland, Slovak Rep., Taiwan and the U.S.A.

For a period of up to 14 days


Countries not listed above, need to obtain an entry permit from an embassy or consulate.

To apply, you must contact a Japanese embassy or a consulate.

The following documents must be submitted regardless of the purpose of your visit:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Two passport photos taken within the six months previous to the date of application.
  • Two official visa application forms, available at the embassy or consulate.
  • Documents certifying the purpose of the visit.
  • Since the type of documents required for the application may differ according to the purpose of your visit, please check with the Japanese embassy or consulate beforehand.

    Work and Long-term Stays – If you wish to enter Japan for activities other than sightseeing – a long-term assignment to a Japanese company, participating in entertainment, foreign-language teaching, Japanese university or college education or company training – a specified visa must be obtained.

    Return from visa for Japan to TokyoTopGuide Homepage


Similar Posts